We started by interviewing our friends, coworkers. We pooled our findings together with post-it notes and affinity diagrams, generated insight from the pattern emerged. We also did stakeholder analysis to understand the bigger picture and conducted competitive analysis to have an idea of current product landscape. Finally we built persona to enlight our design process.
During our early stage research, we found that:
How do we engage small business office workers to be healthier?
Having realized our time limitation (<= 5 weeks), we adjusted the scope of our design question and decided to focus on small business office workers after user research.
I made this illustration to explain our ideation process:
Each of us made 20 sketches based on the 3 features we came up with. We presented our sketches in front of the team, selected those we like best, and made our very first lo-fi prototype.
We brought our paper prototype to Northgate Mall, a pretty busy mall in Seattle, and recruited 4 Volunteers on spot. We assigned them with our pre-designed tasks, and observed when they interacted with our paper prototype.
We were inspired by the excitement expressed by our volunteers. Breakdowns and confusions during the usability testing made us rethink about our concept and our UI.
We summarized our findings after the usability testing, and decided to move our paper prototype to Balsamiq to facilitate better communication of the pain points and potential improvements within the team.